Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Lavender

My highschool band was "Lavender" The Riley sisters with me providing low harmonies and guitar at first, eventually gaining equal footing. Much gentler than my later band or my solo act. Less depressing, too. A lot of Ian and Silvia, PP&M, and this:


And one of my all-time favorites, the only tune done by every band I ever played in. We got up to 5-part harmony on the chorus in one incarnation, the final outrageous falsetto top part took us weeks to get right.



I noticed that Hootie and the Blowfish did a very creditable version of this, BTW.

7 comments:

akafred said...

Orpheus gave a concert at my High School - excellent show.

akafred said...

But enough of teasing us about this band stuff. We want photos!

jackscrow said...

http://www.stephenandthesnake.com/

Jaime Brockett produced a record for them around 2000 or so...

Michael said...

Great slow dance tune during high school years. I didn't get to see them in concert, although I thought I would. They came to the Commodore Ballroom in Lowell in 1967. I remember the date because it was the day my sister got married (the first time). I didn't quite grasp just how all consuming the wedding would be, so the Orpheus concert was no-go (I didn't have a license, so . . .) How many bands were you in?

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I remembered that story, Mike, and thought either you or Ben would point out that I'd posted this video before. As the two people with the most obsessive memories on this blog...

Come to think of it, Mike, when you were at my 60's retro 40th birthday party you saw the only Lavender reunion.

Photos. I'm not sure, but I may have something I can scan in.

Four bands. Or more accurately, three bands and two halves - one that played two gigs and dissolved angrily, one where I guested in for a few gigs.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Akafred must've been there, too.

akafred said...

Nobody told me I was in the company of celebs! I would have brought my autograph book. --But I'm serious about those photos.