Monday, May 18, 2015

Hooray For Hazel

The all-sweetness review. I went looking through the Tommy Roe oeuvre to see if all of his songs had lyrics as poor as "Hooray For Hazel" and "Sweet Pea." (They do rhyme.) It is far worse than that. Sweetness and sweet foods dominate: Jam Up and Jelly Tight, Sugar, Sugar, Heather Honey, and I think Yummy, Yummy, Yummy has to count. Then the first word of "Sheila" is sweet and "Cinnamon" was a minor hit. It gives new weight to the descriptor "bubblegum," dunnit? "Hooray For Hazel" looks positively experimental in comparison. There is no food mentioned in the whole song.



Kids these days with their meaningless lyrics.

2 comments:

RichardJohnson said...

AVI, how dare you try to undermine the "in my day the songs and bands were SO much better than today" narrative!

cello said...

I think I will have to stop reading this blog. I can't get that damn song out of my head.